What's Wrong with Healthcare?

Thinking inside and outside of the healthcare box. After 41 years of family practice, what's happened to Canada's healthcare system?

Sunday, July 08, 2007

Confused About Global Warming

I usually don’t write about things other than medicine, but yesterday, while cutting my lawn with a gas driven lawnmower (I gave my push mower to my son), I struggled with both my rising panic attack re global warming, and my guilt re my contribution to it. After all, on the previous two days the mercury here had climbed to 30 degrees Celsius, and it was getting quite uncomfortable. Then a strange thought struck me. Why is Canada so concerned about global warming when we are one of the coldest nations on earth when Saudi Arabia, the United Emeritus Republic, and other Middle East countries don’t seem to be concerned? Good Lord; I heard the temperatures there go to 45 to 50 degrees Celsius. Do the Dubai newspapers have daily reports of the impending devastation of global warming similar to the Calgary Herald’s daily reports?
Perhaps that’s it. Our MSNM are simply not reporting Middle Eastern environmental concerns; too preoccupied with things like car bombs and such. I’m sure the Middle East, with their soaring temperatures, has an equivalent to Al Gore, flying around the country putting on rock concerts to raise money to save the planet. After all, with the heating up of earth, they are going to be the first to get scorched. Failing to report the Arab world’s valiant efforts to save their countries, and the earth, seems to me to be a huge failing on our news media’s part.
On the other hand, if the Middle East truly seems unconcerned about global warming, while at the same time being so vulnerable, perhaps they know something we don’t. I’d like to know who yelled FIRE (the world is going to burn) first, and started the stampede to save the earth? Maybe it was the Middle East extremists who wanted to divert attention away from their crusade. Maybe while we are spending billions of dollars to “save the earth”, they are going about their plan to inherit the earth after we saved it; and by then Canada will have warmed up sufficiently that they will find it comfortable.
Then again, the philosophy of many is that the “here after” is better than the “here now”, so maybe they want to leave the earth burn, thereby making the “hereafter” a greater reward.
Wow, I’m really getting some paranoid thinking going on! It must be the heat. Still, it does seem strange that the hottest countries in the world don’t seem to give a hoot about global warming. Very confusing! Think I’ll find some shade.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rosie said...

i think you are right when you say lots of people focus on the hereafter, therefore the "here now" doesn't matter. That doesn't leave much for atheists like myself!

Maybe folks in dubai and the middle east don't care because they are already living in a desert? You can't get much drier than that.

And as for global warming, although I believe it is happening and that its human caused, I also think that we are forgetting about a lot of other problems in the meantime, and yes, I think that the money that will be going towards Kyoto is better spent buying rainforest or preserving our own etc. In fact, I am losing faith in kyoto the more we go on and do nothing about it. So, there's my opinion, hardly as extreme as you might think ;)

and yes, environmentalism has brought me the same kind of guilt that Christianity had in the past. :P

9/7/07 8:42 AM  
Blogger Al said...

Aw, come on, Rosie. I was presenting a humorous perspective and you turned all serious. Youv've got to lighten up! Not even one "Hahaha"?

10/7/07 10:46 AM  
Blogger Rosie said...

hey, I was kidding too, I'm totally an extremist. :P

11/7/07 11:17 AM  
Blogger Al said...

Amen to that!

11/7/07 3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home